Friday, July 3, 2009

Final Post


I know I am posting this late and I am very sorry. Anyways I just wanted to say that throughout the course of this class I have learned not only a lot about myself and my personal views on the world, but others as well. I have been opened up to different experiences and different aspects and for the most part it has been for the better. Its funny a month ago I could watch TV and most of the racism or stereotypical behavior of the media would just be brushed of by me and I would not even think twice. Now watching TV, going on the Internet, listening to music I am more aware of all these things and it is really amazing to me how much racism and how many stereotypes are really out their. This class has been a great learning experience, I enjoyed everyone in the class. We had great discussions and watched some great films that really made us think. I really enjoyed watching "When the Levees Broke" and "Gran Torino," and I also really enjoyed our discussion on Hip-Hop music. I wanted to take the time to thank everyone in the class because I really did enjoy my time in there this summer... With that being said I want to do a brief post on the Disney movie we watched the last day of class.


Personally I feel that the movie was over the top and ridiculous. When watching this film it made me feel like all the Disney movies I watched when I was growing up was wrong and that as an adult I should horribly screwed up, which I'm not, or least I don't think I am. Don't get me wrong the people speaking in this film did have a few valid points, such as blacks being portrayed as the monkeys in jungle book, and the hyenas in the Lion King, that I can agree with and say "yeah they could have gone in a different direction with the voices." However, some of their points were just laughable. The Beast in Beauty and the Beast was an abusive partner and poor helpless Belle was the victim??? Or the Little Mermaid lost her voice so she got the guy with her body??? Or the story of how the Indians and Europeans met was not the reality in Pocahontas and we should show our kids the truth? Seriously people these are children's movies. Kids do not need to know the reality of how Europeans came to America and killed thousands of Indians. Children cannot understand that, nor should they have to. I think in the end it is the parents to tell the children which is right and wrong, what they should believe and what not to believe. Like I said I watched these movies when I was a kid and I turned out fine, and I can guarantee you that my kids will probably watch these films as well and I pray that they will be okay to. But if by some chance they are messed up, I will guarantee you it is not because of watching Disney films.


Related Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment