Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Stereotypes in the media

I was reading comments that people made on blogs yesterday and one blog talked about how the media tends to focus on the stereotypical cheerleader, the blonde haired, skinny, spunky girl which many of us have built up in our minds as being the typical cheerleader. The author of the blog then questioned the media saying that because the media focuses on this image it affects younger girls who strive to become that image, a valid point. However, the first comment on the blog said, “Which came first, the stereotype? Or the media focus on that image?”

It really got me thinking, did I come up with these stereotypical images of people first and then the media just justifies my ideas? Or has the media put these stereotypical thoughts in my head and now I have these views and feelings? I think it could be both, I could have been raised and taught a certain way that might cause me to have a stereotype towards someone or something, but then I ask the question, where did my parents get those views? Was it the way there were raised or the media? In my personal opinion I feel that media has been such a big part of my entire life that it would have more of an impact on me when establishing stereotypes.

The media can pick and choose what type of people and what type of image they want to portray. They can also edit anything they say to make it sound how they want it to sound. Then as we, the viewer, watch these images and listen to what they say we form these stereotypes, and if we had a previous stereotype about someone or something it can just justify those ideas. We have talked about it many times before, the media affects our lives rather we are aware of it or completely oblivious to it. It is able to put images and thoughts in our head, which we then express in our lives. In the end I really feel that stereotypes are formed by the media and that when we see a certain image about someone or something over and over again we automatically think of these stereotypical thoughts. Then the next time we see someone who has similar characteristics of that image we immediately label them and stereotype them. It is a chain reaction that once it begins, there is really no stopping it. Of course, this is just my personal opinion.

Related Links:

Minorities portrayed in news

Look at the picture and then read the captions

1 comment:

  1. Some of your perceptions of other, where did they come from; are they based on the personal or interpersonal relationships you have developed?

    ReplyDelete